|Cooks in: 40-45 minutes||Feeds: 4-5 Adults|
This is my very authentic Paella recipe born from love of Spanish food on the cheap in my student days. I apologise in advance to my Spanish readers who will likely not recognize the dish, but it is tasty and feeds a lot of people fast. This can be done with any leftover meats and with or without seafood or fish (although if making fish and seafood only I would be inclined to make with fish stock instead of chicken).
- 200g Paella Rice or any round rice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 small onions or 1 big chopped
- 1-2 Chicken drumsticks per person
- Seafood of your choice (here Prawns and squid)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 small glass of Vermouth white wine (optional)
- 1 litre warm chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3-5 strands saffron or sachet Paella seasoning
- sprinkling of chicken spices (I use Jamaican Jerk – shame!)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree or passata
- Chorizo to taste – that is a lot for me then please…
- 1 handful Cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 x lemon
- 1 red pepper
- small bowl of frozen peas
- Salt to taste
- Put your chicken drumsticks in a ceramic oven dish and coat with the chicken spices. Put in the oven at 200C for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, chop the onion and mince the garlic. Transfer to wide pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Put on medium to low heat until the onion is translucent.
- Make up your chicken stock or heat if using fresh stock. Add your rice to coat the pan and turn up the heat to high for 2 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon. Slowly pour in some chicken stock to just coat the rice and turn the heat down. Once the stock is absorbed add more stock, also adding the tomato paste, the vermouth, the saffron or paella seasoning and the paprika. Continue to ladle the stock in until the rice is al dente.
- Add your chopped pepper and the chorizo and frozen peas and continue to add liquid to the rice until it is cooked.
- Add the cherry tomatoes chopped in half and the seafood you are using and stir in. Taste and add Salt to taste. (Note: if you are using uncooked seafood, add it in before the tomatoes and add the tomatoes once the seafood has started to cook.)
- Remove the chicken from the oven and check it is cooked through. Turn your grill on.
- Cut the lemon in wedges lengthways and arrange on top of the rice with the chicken drumsticks. Put the Paella in the oven under the hot grill until the rice on top has started to crisp up, about 5-10 minutes.